Tuesday, June 8, 2010

this i am learning

to pick my battles.

maybe k and i just had a good day where, subconsciously, we totally understood each other.  now, don't get me wrong.  the day was far from one of those picture perfect days, you know, those days with an infant (that at the time seemed rough, but now would kind of feel dreamy).  anyhow, it was a really good day. 

k ate well for the most part, she ran errands well with me, she didn't have any potty training accidents (except for pooping in that blasted diaper), she was great at my doctor appointment, and overall she was fairly pleasant (meaning she still did what she wanted when she wanted, but she was happy doing it - sometimes i just let her have her way if she's calm and it's not dangerous or a big deal).

this is when i breathed those three calming words: pick your battles.

and while i know this whole mother thing is really a "one day at a time" thing, this mantra definitely helped me yesterday.  as the epiphany struck me, i smiled to myself and breathed in and out and totally relaxed.  if it's not going to hurt her, if it's not going to potentially create any bad habits down the road, if it's not doing any major damage to the house, let her have her fun...

makes for a much better day for me, too.

but then again, we'll see how today goes!!!

No comments: