Friday, January 21, 2011

i have great infants

how did i get so lucky with my babies?

my parents still remind me how surprised they are at my mothering skills and how incredibly lucky we are to have such great babies.  don't worry, we know it.

one thing i am so grateful for with my babies is that they (so far) have been excellent sleepers.  from about 6 weeks on, they let me sleep all night.  even when they are brand new and just home from the hospital, the most frequently they had to eat at night was every four hours.  none of this every 2 hours business.

another reason i know i have good babies is that they have both been great eaters.  notice i said babies ;)  as i mentioned, they have only wanted to eat every 4 hours.  when they were brand new, i kind of felt like all i did was feed my baby, around the clock, but even at four hour intervals, that is nothing to complain about.  they get in, they get out, they move on with life!  i don't (so far) have babies that eat for 45 minutes.  i remember hearing friends say (friends who nursed their babies) "you do 20 minutes on one side, burp, 20 minutes on the other side, burp again, change the diaper, then you put them back to sleep.  so you're up for like an hour."  what???  really?  is this what i had to look forward to?  gratefully, both of my babies eat for about 15 to 20 minutes total, burp, and get a diaper change.  we are all back to bed within 30 minutes.  blessed children!!!

probably the thing i'm most grateful for, however, is that my babies are so mellow!  they just seem to go with the flow and don't make much of a fuss about anything.  i used to take k with me to anything and everything and she rarely fussed.  she was so full of personality and was so easily entertained - it was lovely!  baby b is following closely in her sister's footsteps.  the only thing she doesn't like is the carseat.  but once we get rolling, she quietly enjoys the ride.

now, i promise - this post isn't a brag post like those dedicated to showing how great my latest project is or whatever - but i just wanted to document the bliss that has come from my two baby girls.  it serves purely as a reminder that i love these girls and that at one point in time, they were blissful!  i think it will get me through my days of raising toddler and even teenage girls!

1 comment:

Johanna said...

Having babies like yours is a blessing. Spencer was like that too and I was so grateful - I actually enjoyed almost all of his babyhood because I wasn't dealing with sleep deprivation or colic. I have so much empathy for moms who aren't as lucky!