Wednesday, February 16, 2011

going to the chapel

my very wise mother used to whisper in my ear every night as she tucked me in to please not get married until i was 25.  when i was growing up and would hear her talk about this, i thought she was crazy.  i was one of those crazy girls who dreamed of  marrying her high school sweetheart when she was 19 or maybe 20.  and i thought my mom was crazy?  what was i thinking? 

seeing the wisdom in my mother, i have started this routine with my own daughter.  while i don't necessarily whisper into her ear at bedtime about waiting to marry until 25, i do take the opportunity to remind k of this idea every chance i get. 

since k is enthralled with all things princess and marrying a handsome prince these days, the question arises frequently, "when will you get married?" from various people.  i beam with pride anytime this happens because i love hearing her answer:

i'm going to get married in the temple in my pretty dress and tights and dancing shoes to a nice prince when i'm 25

and yes, she includes all of that information every time she answers the question.

sure, i know it will wear on her, the idea will probably sound like too much time to wait, yadda yadda yadda.  it did all of that for me as a young woman. 

but look how i turned out.  i got married.  in the temple.  in my pretty white dress.  in my tights and dancing shoes (okay they were sandals).  to my high school sweetheart prince.  when i was 25.

okay, i was 3 months shy of being 25, but close enough for me and my mother!

2 comments:

pam said...

Just wait till your girls start talking about your influence in their life. It's the best gift that a child can give a parent. I love you

Johanna said...

So cute - this was a really well written piece - I loved how you tied in Kate's answer to your experience. Nice!