Tuesday, February 1, 2011

school girl

k is already excited for school.  she's not yet three, but boy, she's excited.

anytime we see a school bus drive by, or even pass a parked one, she yells out, "mama!  a school bus!!!"  it's very exciting :)  whenever we pass the local elementary school, she asks if it's her school and if we went to the carnival there.  she frequently asks if she can go to school and then tells me she's big enough.  apparently i've told her she's not "big enough yet"  :)

so, it has me asking: does k need preschool and when do we start?  and then comes the shortness of breath when i think about dropping off my little baby to some stranger!  i never think of myself as the type of mom who will cry when she drops off her kids to school.  and i still don't think i will.  but it does bring me a slight sense of panic (and complete paranoia) when i start to think about her being safe.  i guess i need to ask around and find out who i can trust with my little k :)

i never attended preschool so there is a little part of me that says "kids don't need preschool."  but then a friend reminded me the other day that no, k doesn't need preschool - i do.  i had to laugh :)  she was also kind enough to remind me about a little thing called a waiting list.  i really do need to start asking around for good recommendations... oh boy.

1 comment:

Johanna said...

Preschool depends on the kid and the mom - does the kid want to go and does she need/want the socialization? Does the mom want/need a short break? In my opinion, the best preschool is one where the kids get to do fun stuff (like painting)! As for scholastics, preschool isn't essential, except that preschool can help kids learn that school and learning can be fun. Got any preschool teachers in your ward? That's a good way to find someplace you'll feel comfortable with.