Tuesday, February 15, 2011

night rider

from the time i can remember until i moved out of my parents' house, my mom and dad used to take rides to get out of the house and relax.  my mom tells me it was the only way she could stay sane while taking care of us kids.  she tells me, "as soon as dad walked through the door, i'd say 'get me out of here!'"  ok, it might not have been the second he walked through the door, she did feed us dinner when my dad got home, but as soon as things were winding down and our needs were all taken care of, my parents were out the door for at least an hour to decompress.


we have started doing the same thing, but we have no option but to take the kids.  when husband gets home and we have all had dinner, we gear the girls up in their pajamas and coats and load up into the car.  we drive until we have had enough adult conversation, until the girls mellow out for the night, or until we hear snores coming from the backseat.

we get out of the house, husband and i get some time to talk and focus on each other, girls relax in their carseats and pass out for the night.  when we get home, we put them to bed and they sleep through the whole thing.  it is a fantastic way to end our nights in this stage of life.

thanks for the example, mom and dad!  ;)

No comments: